Introduction: What is a Whitehead?
More than fifty million individuals out there in the United States of America are suffering from acne this year round. Among which one of the types is whiteheads. Others also discovered in these people which include; papules, pustules, cysts, common acne, and nodules. But the question answered here is on what is a whitehead? Medical terminology used for Whitehead is “closed comedo”. It forms in the following situations which are different from other causes;
- Bacterium is clogged in the second layer of skin.
- Pores of the skin are trapped with sebum.
- Dead cells of the skin are not regenerated.
Whiteheads are more or less same in the formation as well as the embarrassment that one faces while being in the public.
We can however bring a dead end to whiteheads through preventive measures and lifestyle.
How to recognize whiteheads is another matter of concern; because physicians and doctors are not always in the reach. Many other reasons could justify having brief idea about whiteheads.
Symptoms of Whiteheads:
Here are some of the signs which may help in finding its tracing on skin;
- Whiteheads are not too big in size to be seen.
- These are smaller in size with round shape.
- A small thud is noticed on the skin’s first layer.
Causes of Whiteheads:
Reasons and root causes of whiteheads are;
Puberty and Hormonal Changes:
Sebum, a substance developed under the skin is the main cause of whiteheads. During the time of puberty and hormonal changes in the body, whiteheads are most prone to the human body.
A special type of hormone called GnRH is released from the body of a young adult. This hormone is freed from the brain giving signals to the body to secrete two other forms of hormones commonly known as androgens.
Now, these hormones (androgens) produce more signals to the body cells – develop more oil (sebum) under the skin. This in short causes whiteheads.
Medical History of Whiteheads:
Hereditary elements are also one of the main reasons in the production of whiteheads. All sorts of acne have strong relation to parents and their children. Whiteheads in particular comes through parents and grandparents.
Genes that are carried from the parents govern your hormones and formation of acne, blemishes or skin conditions. In short, medical history to whiteheads is custodian to responding bacterium as well as hormonal changes in a human body.
Mental and Psychological Concerns:
People who have higher level of stress due to any reason are more prone to cystic acne, whiteheads, blackheads and other types of acne. Interestingly, science and studies reveal that there is no direct influence of these two (whiteheads and stress).
However, it is generalized that whiteheads are the result of stress, anxiety and depression. According to medical researchers, it is due to the fact of stress containment that whiteheads are seen in one’s skin.
Lifestyle and Hygiene:
Hygiene, cleanliness and lifestyle are other factors that cause whiteheads. Neither eating nor drinking habits have been categorized as the source of causing whiteheads. On the other hand, there is a group of school which takes food items like fatty and junk food, chocolate and extra oily eating items as the source of causing whiteheads.
Nevertheless, whiteheads are noticed on the skin of those who have tendency to form it; if it is about eating habits that causes whiteheads in parents and grandparents then it is an effecting element.
Whitehead vs Blackheads: Discriminating Factors:
What is a whitehead ? Is there any significant difference between whiteheads and blackheads? How can we determine if it is a whitehead or a blackhead? Let’s find out the answers;
- Whitehead and blackhead are both taken as milder type of acne.
- The main difference in a blackhead and whitehead is based upon the closed and opened pore. If it is a closed pore it is a whitehead; and if it is opened with black tip then it is a blackhead.
- Both type of acne are categorized as comedones.
- Tiny opening however can be seen in the whiteheads. On the other hand, blackhead’s opening can be seen without the use of a microscope.
- Whiteheads are named “white-head” because of the underlying fact of its color. This type of acne does not have changed color on the tip of the blemishes.
Removing Whiteheads – How to Get Rid of a Whitehead?
Milder types of acne are treated and prevented easily as compared to cysts and nodules. These two types are classified under a bit too riskier and dangerous side. So, it is relatively easier to treat. Following are some of the basic ways through which treatment is possible.
Over the counter medicines for Whiteheads:
Medicines that can be taken in the need of despair or irritation are readily available. Containment of such condition where you don’t have much to do is the time when you can rely on one of these medicines. The best part is you don’t need any prescription for the issuance of these medicines. Therefore, these are easy to consume and even buy.
Medicines that help us in such situations are;
- Ointments and creams for topical use; those which contain with benzoyl peroxide are the best in this regard.
- Medicines and products that possess salicylic acid are also workable for whiteheads.
Despite the fact that Instant and immediate treatment is not possible for whiteheads. Its cure and the duration it may take and it can be cured within eight to nine weeks. Other medications which the physician and doctor can use in your case (depends from person to person and the situation he or she is in) are:
- Steroid injections
Treatments other than these could be helpful too, which include;
Light or laser therapy for Whiteheads:
Laser and light treatments are used when acne is persistent and gets way too much for a person to handle through home remedies or medicines. Different types of lights manifest in the treatment of acne let it be whitehead or blackhead. Even those which are considered prudent for the names given to them (nodules, cysts, papules) are shoved off from the skin by the help of laser or light treatments.
Red, blue and combination of both the colors are used in the light therapy. You may need to visit a doctor twice in a week to see the change. Infrared laser lights are the guardian of curing acne, whiteheads and blackheads, nodules and even cysts.
One can get rid of severe acne after photo-pneumatic therapy. IPL (intense pulsed light) laser light is used in this procedure with soft vacuuming of acne.
Manual removal of whiteheads:
Manual extractions can be done by the person him/herself or by the professional of the field. Here is how the procedure is carried out:
- Apply two layers of moisturizing cream on the area that is affected with whiteheads.
- Next, cover the affected area where you have applied thick layer of cream.
- Now put plastic sheet (plastic wrap in the kitchen use) on the affected area covered with cream.
- Wrap the area with hot and steamy towel.
- Let the towel sit there on the affected area for minimum six to seven minutes.
- Remove towel as soon as it gets a bit cooler and replace it with another one to maintain heat.
- Remove the plastic and make it moist again if needed.
- Once you remove the plastic from the area, take a tissue paper and squeeze the skin so much so that the whitehead pops out. Remove the whitehead with the help of tissue.
- Take out all the seen and microscopic whiteheads that come out all by itself.
- Repeat the procedure daily for a week. Check the result and go on for another week if the result is not seen.
Chemical peeling off of whiteheads:
Waxing is one of the simplest and most effective means of removing whiteheads. All you have to do is to either go to the spa and get it treated or do following:
- Apply a thin layer of hot wax onto skin with whiteheads.
- Peel it off once it gets a bit cold and sticky to take off whiteheads.
- Do it once in a week for ever lasting effect.
Whiteheads Treatment – Home Remedies and Medical Methods:
Unrest in the nature causes stress and other psychological conditions. Such mental concerns are the pyramid of causing whiteheads and other kinds of acne. In this section of the article, you will read about five best ways to get rid of whiteheads through home remedies.
Milk for Whiteheads:
This remedy has shown significant results within few weeks.
- Take one tablespoon of lemon juice and two tablespoons of organic milk. Mix them together.
- Rub in the mixture on the affected area of the skin in circular movement.
- Let it dry.
- Rinse it off with water without using any soap.
- Repeating it at least two times in a day can bring huge change on the affected area.
Fuller Earth Mask for Whiteheads:
Clay helps in removal of dead cells from the skin.
- Make a mixture by adding a tablespoon of fuller earth into some water to make a thick paste.
- Apply clay mask on the affected area and let it dry.
- Once it is dried, wash it wash without using soap.
- Repeat it thrice in a week. Continue for two weeks for best result.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Whiteheads:
Another best remedy when it comes to treatment of acne, whiteheads and blackheads. Follow the steps given below;
- Fill tub with hot water.
- Add a cup of apple cider vinegar in water.
- Take a long bath in it and let it dry.
- Repeat it once daily.
Tea Tree Oil for Whiteheads:
Tea tree oil is the most effective and reasonable remedy for the removal of whiteheads. All you have to do is to follow the steps under;
- Fill a spray bottle with water (one and a half cup) and three to five drops of tea tree oil.
- Also add in aloe vera gel right from the plant (one teaspoon) or its liquid product in the water.
- Cleanse your skin and spray the liquid solution on the affected area.
- Let it dry.
- Repeat the procedure once in a day and once before going to bed.
P.S: Do not wash or rinse off the solution that dries up on the skin.
Fenugreek Mask for Whiteheads:
Method of using fenugreek mask:
- Take a bunch of fenugreek leaves.
- Add some water and blend it till it turns into a thick paste.
- Now apply this mixture on the affected area with whiteheads.
- Let it remain there for 12 hours. Best is to apply it in the night before going to sleep.
- Wash it off in the morning, next day.
- Repeat the procedure at least for a week, on alternative days.
When to Seek Doctor’s Assistance?
Whitehead on cheeks, whiteheads inside nose, hard Whitehead on face and popping whiteheads – all need considerable treatment. These cure are mainly those which are related to three important treatments mentioned above (laser or light treatment, peeling off whiteheads, and manual removal of whiteheads). Now you see these are the treatments which cannot be carried out by the affected person. So, naturally this is the reason why you have to seek a doctor’s help.
However, on the other hand, there are other reasons to see a doctor too. Those are;
- Pain on the affected area.
- Swelling, redness that doesn’t seem to go away.
- Increase in the severity of acne or whiteheads.
Conclusion – Last Verdict:
Last but not the least; whiteheads are not hard to treat. But, myths associated to it make the person worried. We would recommend you to check into your symptoms and causes that trigger hormones. This way you will be able to get rid of whiteheads faster. In this case when you are well-aware of the situation, you can handle whiteheads on your own.