What is acne ? Women and those girls who have reached puberty are the direct hit to a skin disease called acne. It is a source of utter disgrace and embarrassment for females. However, it also occurs in men because of one or many reasons mentioned in the causes section.
In this piece of information, an article though, you will find out about;
- What is Acne?
- What are the Different Types of Acne?
- Acne Symptoms
- What is acne caused by?
- What Triggers Acne?
- How to Treat Acne?
Let’s delve in the comprehensive and know all about about acne.
What is Acne?
According to studies, research and survey it is of great despair that more than 50 million individuals experience acne in America. Among this list of individuals, mostly hit by acne are those who:
- People who started to show the change in hormones, commonly due to the puberty phase.
- Also, those who have prone disposition of hormones through the oily skin.
- As well as those people who live near equator, causing more oil production as compared to those who live far from the equator.
In short, when we define acne is a common skin condition. Individuals who face acne are under a misconception that it is not treatable. However, it is not so because even the worst kind of acne (medically known as acne vulgaris) is cured.
Found near all those areas of the body where oil is produced in excessive quantity, for example: chest, face, forehead, back, arms, upper arms and sometimes on the neck.
Studies again show that there is a possibility of not experiencing acne, also known as common pimple, by those people who live in the nascent Neolithic tribal areas. You must be thinking why it is so, well… it is merely on the basis of staying away and alone from the natural elements like sun or heat.
In short, acne is a skin condition also taken and considered as of medical assistance. Following are some characteristics found in acne or a common pimple:
- Has the potential to cause irritation.
- It has inflammatory properties.
- Soreness and redness are also seen in acne.
- Small bumps are noticed on the skin surface.
What are the Different Types of Acne? Signs and Characteristics:
Acne is categorized under six types. Each of them is described briefly under, however, these types are not with all the information. These types may miss out some of the main information. It is because scientists, researchers and even surveyors are still finding the best that can cause these special kinds of acne.
Here is the list of all six varieties of acne:
Description of Six Forms of Acne:
Cysts and Nodules Acne:
Cysts and nodules acne are categorized under same discipline for the reason that these both share same possessions. Those are:
- Severity in condition.
- Excruciating pain.
- Skin cells and pores are completely clogged.
- Inflammation of high degree is also experienced.
- Infection by bacteria is also present.
- Face is the first area of the body where cysts and nodules acne is formed.
- Upper arms and upper body also becomes the target of nodules and cystic acne.
Closed Comedo is the scientific term for Whitehead. It has an opening to the pores. It is the opposite of blackhead. Qualities of Whitehead are:
- Low level of inflammation and its intensity.
- Bumps are not on the surface of the skin but under the skin.
- Opening is there which cannot be seen through a naked eye.
- Irritation is not present.
Comedo, (medical and scientific word for blackhead) is the beginning of blackhead. Blackheads develop due to the closure of hair follicle. Here are some signs of blackheads:
- Small thuds on the surface of the skin.
- Pores are opened and dark in color, precisely black.
- Mild in nature as compared to cystic and nodules acne.
- Appears on exposed areas of the body: face, neck, arms, upper arms, back, chest, shoulders, and other open parts.
- Not painful as other acne types.
- Not even inflammation or soreness has a trace on the affected area.
Papules or Skin Lesion:
Acne of this type which has a typical tissue of the skin, circling around one centimeter is called papules. Papules are also called skin lesion. Characteristics of papules are:
- Borders and surroundings are very divergent to each other.
- Different shapes of one centimeter of surrounding are formed.
- Has the property of changing color.
- A group or cluster of papules causes rashes.
- Not serious like that of other acne types.
- Dome is the most significant shape of papules acne.
- Also, it may look like a navel.
Acne as a separate entity, other than its type has its own characteristics. These are different and at times combination of all six types of acne. How and why must be there in your mind. Well, the answer to it is not difficult or complex to understand.
See, when we say that there are six types of a common acne problem, it clearly manifests the idea that acne is more like an umbrella. Other types fall under this huge umbrella.
So here is a list of all those symptoms which may determine acne even when you are not a dermatologist or a practitioner in the clinic or hospital. Symptoms of acne are;
- Appears generally on the shoulders, face, arms, hips, and legs.
- Skin form changes into one of the signs of those six types mentioned above.
- Skin gets crusts which can be peeled.
- Peeling of acne causes itchiness, soreness, redness, at times pain and leaves scars.
- Redness is detected when skin blows up.
Note: Symptoms and signs of all six types of acne are mentioned in detail in the above section (What are the Different Types of Acne? signs and characteristics).
What is acne caused by?
Alright, what causes acne? Is it something which we can prevent? Or it is formed even when we take care of our skin in the prescribed way by the experts of the field? All these questions are answered in this section of the article.
Let’s answer all questions stated in the opening of this section.
What causes acne?
Here are some of the causes of acne:
Acne is formed when pores of the skin are closed. Follicle is opened due to the clogged pore. This pore with follicle is full of oil produced by the gland which takes control of its disposition.
Oil glands have two functions:
Firstly is to take charge of balancing oil in the skin. Secondly is to alter old skin with the new one. It also contains belongings of keeping skin softer and smoother.
What happens when oil is produced in a larger quantity than required?
Normally, it is due to the excessive production of oil from the oil glands which causes acne. Why does it happen is because: pores are blocked and dirt fills its space. Also a bacterium attacks pores causing different types of acne. Thirdly and most importantly, it stops the formation of new skin and old skin is defused with a long passage of time.
What Triggers Acne?
There is a long list of things that trigger acne. Those include:
Sebum is the substance settled by the glands which controls oil. However, androgen is a hormone that when increased in either gender causes sebaceous glands to produce more of sebum. This happens particularly during the puberty phase, precisely during early teens.
Second means of production of more sebum is due to the hormonal changes during pregnancy. It is also when excessive usage and exposition of body is towards the contraceptive pills.
Last but not the least; large amount of androgen in blood of women actually exacerbates acne.
Medicines and drugs over the counter as well as those recommended by dermatologists can trigger acne. Those medicines may include; medicines with androgen, those that have cortisones and medicines with lithium.
It is recommended to increase fatty acids and omega 3 during pregnancy. Doesn’t is denote the fact that fats are good for health of mother and fetus? Well, there lies a misconception. It’s a misconception that has nothing to do with oily food or its relation to acne.
Despite the misconception, there are studies which probe the idea of consuming carbohydrates filled and dairy products. A slight chance of triggering acne after using following items remains open: chips, fried chicken, chocolate, bread, bagels and other food items with more carbohydrates.
Researchers are still not sure about the myth associated in regard to food items containing carbohydrates or fatty acids.
Any mental condition let it be simple stress related to work load, office chores, home concerns can actually trigger acne. Depression, fatigue and anxiety are also the custodians of causing acne.
Besides these facts about factors which trigger acne, there are a couple of myths related to the following which according to many has the variability to cause acne. Those are:
Food with oil:
It is said that greasy food are potent in causing acne. However, studies reveal that it is not so. On the other hand, areas like kitchen and exposition to oily areas like truck stands and factories can be the beginning of acne.
Well, it is because of number of reasons; oil sticks to the skin easily, blockage of follicles and setting of oil in the opened pores.
It is not always cosmetics that cause acne. More or less it is the cosmetics with oil that causes acne. If and when oil free cosmetics and beauty products are used, it has no chance of activating acne.
As the best prevention, cleaning and cleansing skin while removing cosmetics is preferred with non-oily products.
Skin with dirt:
It is another myth that dirt causes acne. Dirt sits in the opened pores ultimately causing blackheads, another form of acne. When dry skin is scrubbed too hard and exfoliated with aggression, or/and chemicals in large quantity is used on skin, triggers acne to get worse.
How to Treat Acne ? Acne Home Remedies:
Medically proven treatments are also important like that of home treatments. In the worst form of acne, affected person is bound to go for one of the following methods to get rid of acne:
Medicines over the counter and those that are prescribed by dermatologists can help in treating acne. Not that which is of extreme nature though, because these medicines take their own due time and makes the affected person in pain.
Drug stores or medicines that assist in easing discomfort are;
- Oral and tropical use of antibiotics: erythromycin,clindamycin and tetracycline
- Creams like Azelex
People in general take laser or light therapies as a means of removing acne from the root. It can be one of the ways; however, results are not always best as it contains some side effects too.
Even though when the effected person goes to the dermatologist, well experienced and highly competent in his field, results are not always predictable. Treatments from the use of beam or laser are risky but effective too.
Exfoliating treatments, facials, dermabrasion, and such cures are also the meaningful ways to deal with common acne.
Lemon and Aloe Vera Mask:
Here are steps to make aloe vera mask and then to apply it in order to get rid of acne overnight:
- Take a small portion of aloe vera and scoop out two teaspoons of gel in a bowl.
- Add couple of drops in the bowl.
- Apply it on acne; leave it for 6 to 7 hours.
- Wash it off with plain water.
- Dry the skin.
- Apply cream (preferably made in home).
- Repeat once in a night time.
Tea Tree Oil Cleansing:
Tea tree oil and cleansing are two best friends. Change in the condition of acne can be seen over one night. Simply follow the steps below and check the difference yourself:
- Wash your face with non-oily soap and dry your skin.
- Take a spray bottle and fill it with water.
- Add 4 tablespoons of tea tree oil in the spray bottle.
- Spray it on the face or the affected area.
- Let it dry on its own. It might take around an hour or less though.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Apply moisturizer.
- Repeat it twice every day.
Indeed there are many tested and experimented home remedies that serve best for acne. However these mentioned above are personally confirmed by the author of this article.
Conclusion – Last Verdict:
Last but not the least; common acne becomes a foundation of risk when not treated on time. Since it has the probability of getting worse and taking another shape, in terms of changing form and symptoms, it is very important to take care of it. Treatment as well as preventive measures, both are equally necessary.